Here are the things I know 9 days into my injury;
1. I'm a dumb ass
- People told me not to do too much intense running and I didn't listen
- My knees told me they needed ice and rest and I didn't listen
2. This is frustrating
- and causes stress in other areas of my life
3. My injury was caused by one or a combination of the following
- Too much volume
- Too much intensity
- Too many jump squats or burpees at fitness class
- Pushing too hard on the bike
- Pushing too hard on the run
- Pushing too hard for my fitness level
- Bike fit
- Cleats worn out or needing adjusting
- Weak hips
My knees have improved to a point. I no longer have any sharp pain and I can walk without limping, but I do have a dull pain when I walk and when I push even a little on the bike. I'll be out of town next week without access to my bike, so I'll add some light running and see if the situation changes.
What is my plan?
1. I started doing these hip exercises to strengthen my hips and glutes. I've known they are weak because they get very fatigued just doing 50 yard kick drills.
2. I had been saving for an IPad, but never pulled the trigger. I decided to spend the money on triathlon stuff instead. I made an appointment for a two hour bike fit and will buy new pedals and shoes at the same time.
3. I'm going to call the doc and schedule an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to make sure I'm not doing an irreparable damage. Do they give discounts for getting a double MRI?
4. I'm going to keep things in perspective. This is just a hobby and four years ago I would go months without running. It hasn't even been two weeks.
5. When I get back at it, I'm not going to worry about run speed until after my half iron race in July.